Snert (Dutch Pea Soup)
|Prep Time||:||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||:||1 hour, 30 minutes|
|Total Time||:||1 hour, 45 minutes|
- 500g green split peas (health food shops tend to stock these)
- 400g pork chops
- tbsp salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions
- 1 large carrot (winterwortel) (approx 200g)
- 1/2 celeriac (approx 400g)
- 2 thin leeks
- 1 smoked pork sausage (250g) (I use Matesons)
- Wash the split peas, place in large stock pot along with the pork chops and 2 litres of water.
- Add salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 15 mins.
- Meanwhile peel and chop onions, carrot and celeriac (small chunks).
- Clean leeks and slice thinly.
- Add veg to the soup, bring back to boil and cook for approx 30mins.
- Heat up the sausage in the soup for the last 10 mins (alternatively heat in microwave).
- Take pork and sausage out, remove any bones, cut into small pieces.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Check seasoning and enjoy!