The Bible – A Timeline of Key Events
Whether you agree with its message or not there is no denying that the Christian (and Hebrew) Bible has fundamentally shaped the world we live in today. And yet there is still much ignorance in general society as to what it is saying or the key events it covers.
The Bible doesn’t have 1 single author and is in fact divided into 73 books in the Catholic Bible or 66 books of the Protestant canon, each being written over various periods of time. Each book was written by a different person or persons. Getting a handle of the dates of the events covered can be difficult so in this article we look (briefly) at some of the key events and put a date to them.
OLD TESTAMENT TIMELINE
NEW TESTAMENT TIMELINE
Some Random Bible Factlets
- Nowhere in the Bible does it say there were three wise men, just three gifts
- On October 22, 1987 a Japanese buyer, Eiichi Kobayashi, purchased the Old Testament portion of a Gutenberg Bible for $5.4 million at a Christie’s Auction. The last sale of a complete version took place nine years before, again at Christie’s, for $2.2 million. Today, single pages from first-edition Bibles fetch $25,000 each.
- In the 1631 King James Bible a crucial word was left out of the 7th commandment by the printers making it: ‘Thou shalt commit adultery’.
- The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the USA.
- The Bible’s Book of Esther doesn’t mention God once.
- In 1971, 100 copies of the Bible were taken to the Moon.
- There is only one mention of sneezing in the Bible. ~ if you’re curious its in Job41 v 18
His sneezes flash forth light, And his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.
|How Was the Christian Bible Put Together ? Who Wrote it All ?|
|The Languages (& Translations) of the Bible – Linguistic Conundrums|
|The Spread of Christianity in the Ancient World|
|Was Jesus a Real Person ?|